Saturday, January 28, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

Original Post: 01/28/2012


^ ^ This is what you'll need ^ ^

I bought everything that I needed at Publix for less than $20.00.  If you count the cost of the container, it was less than $30.00.

1- 4 lb 12 oz box Borax
1 - 3.4 lb box of Arm & Hammer Super Cleaning Soda
1 - 4 lb box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 -3 lb box of Oxyclean
3 bars of Fels Naptha soap

With the exception of the Baking Soda, everything was found in the detergent aisle.

Shred all three bars of Fels Naptha using your cheese grater.  Make sure you put your back into it and keep your knuckles out of it.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients, one at a time.

When you're ready to use it, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the detergent directly into your washer.  (I'm using an old NyQuil measuring cup.)  I have an HE washer and put it directly into the tub of the washer, do NOT use the soap dispenser.


If you're making your own Dishwasher Detergent, you could halve this recipe and use one box of the Super Washing Soda and one box of Borax for both projects.

(Disclaimer: Use this at your own risk.  I make no guarantee that any of this will work.)

The verdict is in!

I've completed one load of laundry using the homemade detergent.  (I used softener and a dryer sheet.)  The clothes smell clean and it even took care of the stains!)

09/01/2012 update: I have an HE front loading washer.  I've been putting the soap directly into the tub.  Though I've caught DH using the soap dispenser a couple of times.  So far, so good!  No damage done!

No comments:

Post a Comment